Like humans, dogs can get allergies, however their symptoms are different. When humans have allergies, they will suffer from a runny nose, sneezing, and itchy, watery eyes. When a dog has allergies, they will be very itchy, and their fur can fall out. This can make your dog very uncomfortable, and unhappy. When humans suffer from allergies, they will take a pill to relive their symptoms. When a dog has allergies, there are several shampoos on the market that will relive them of their symptoms.
Table of Contents
Best Allergy Shampoos for Dogs
Critter Comfort’s Anti-Itch Shampoo
This is an excellent product to relieve your dog of their allergy symptoms. When used properly, it will soothe your pet’s skin and will also treat hot spot. This product contains gentle ingredients, including:
- Tea tree oil
- Shea butter
- Sunflower oil
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B5
This shampoo comes in an 8 ounce bottle, however, it is very concentrated, and it makes 48 ounces of shampoo. You will be able to give your dog plenty of shampoos before you need to reorder.
Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo
This is an excellent product for dogs who have allergies and are using topical flea treatments, as it will not disturb the flea treatment. There are not many allergy shampoos on the market that can be used at the same time as topical flea treatments. This shampoo is great to calm the itching, while washing away the allergens which caused the itching in the first place. The key ingredients in this product include:
- Aloe Vera
- Tea tree oil
- Neem oil
This 16 ounce bottle of shampoo can cure your pet of his itching, making him comfortable and happy.
Earthbath All Natural Shampoo
This is a great product for pet owners who prefer “green living”, as it is 100 percent biodegradable. It is also cruelty free, as it is not tested on animals. These factors are extremely important to many people. Unlike many of the dog allergy shampoos on the market, this shampoo has a nice scent, so that you dog does not smell like he was bathed in chemicals. This shampoo is soap free, therefore, it will not burn if you get any in your dog’s eyes. This key ingredients in this product are:
- Aloe Vera
- Vanilla oil
- Almond oil
The oatmeal and the aloe vera in this product are recommended by bets to combat the skin irritation which is causing your dog to itch, and it also promotes healing. The vanilla and almond oils are added to make your dog smell good. This product can be purchased in either 16 ounce bottles or 1 gallon bottles.
Zymox Enzymatic Shampoo
This product will help to relieve you dog’s itchy skin caused by allergies. Not only will it relieve the itching, it will also provide a protective antibacterial coating in the fur and on the skin. This will keep the allergens from penetrating the fur, and causing more discomfort. This antibacterial coating is active against:
- Bodyfold Pyoderma
This product also contains three point enzymes, which destroys bacteria and fungi which can cause skin infections. Because this product is so gentle, you can use it on even the youngest puppy.
Most owners who have used this product on their dog have reported that the endless scratching, tossing and turning, and discomfort are a thing of the past.
If your dog has allergies, they do not need to suffer. The above shampoos can offer comfort.
Othey ways to ease your dog’s allergies
Here’s a great article that talks about way to reduce allergens on your dog. It’s a pretty lengthy article so I gathered the takeaways from it in a much more concise way. Here they are:
Reducing allergens on your dog:
- Frequent bathing is a must. Make sure you use a quality shampoo (take a look at those listed above). Never use your shampoo to bathe your dog.
- Brush you dog often as it removes dander (skin flakes in fur). Do it outside, preferably wearing a mask (super important if you’re allergic).
- Keep your dog’s hair short (as hair often traps allergens).
- Proper diet for your dog is important, don’t neglect it.
- From time to time rub your dog’s coat with a wet cloth (that both removes some of the dander and catches some allergens). Instead of water you can use a solution that neutralizes allergens.
Reducing allergens at home:
- Keep your dog out of the bedroom and other places where there can be many allergens.
- Keep your dog away from furniture that easily traps allergens (alternatively cover those with throws and wash them using an anti-allergen detergent)
- Keep your dog’s toys and bed clean.
- A good vacuum cleaner helps with keeping the number of allergens low. In general, the cleaner your house the more happy your dog will be.